The “Temeraire” series, penned by the talented Naomi Novik, is a historical fantasy saga that consists of nine books, published between 2006 and 2016. Set against the backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars, the series introduces an alternate history where dragons are not only real but are also used as a primary weapon of war, serving as aerial combat units.
The narrative follows Captain Will Laurence and his dragon, Temeraire, as they navigate the complexities of war, politics, and the unique bond between dragon and rider. The series delves into themes of friendship, duty, honor, and the challenges of adapting to a rapidly changing world.
Novik’s blending of historical events with the fantastical element of dragons has been widely praised, offering readers a fresh perspective on a well-known period of history.
|Number of Books
|2006 – 2016
- Captain Will Laurence: A former naval captain who becomes bonded with the dragon Temeraire, leading to a drastic change in his life and career.
- Temeraire: A rare and intelligent dragon who forms a deep bond with Laurence. He often questions societal norms and challenges the status quo.
- Granby: A fellow aviator and friend to Laurence.
- Tharkay: A half-Nepalese, half-English adventurer who becomes an ally to Laurence and Temeraire.
Themes and Motif
- Friendship and Loyalty: The bond between Laurence and Temeraire underscores the series, highlighting the depth of their relationship.
- War and Honor: The series delves into the intricacies of war, duty, and the moral challenges faced by those in combat.
- Society and Change: Through Temeraire’s perspective, the series critiques societal norms, especially regarding the treatment of dragons and other marginalized groups.
The Temeraire Series in Order
|His Majesty’s Dragon
|Throne of Jade
|Black Powder War
|Empire of Ivory
|Victory of Eagles
|Tongues of Serpents
|Crucible of Gold
|Blood of Tyrants
|League of Dragons
- Critical Reception: The “Temeraire” series has been lauded for its unique blend of history and fantasy, with critics praising Novik’s detailed world-building and character development.
- Reader Reception: The series has garnered a dedicated fanbase, with many readers appreciating the fresh take on the Napoleonic Wars and the deep bond between the main characters.
Trivia and Fun Facts
- Naomi Novik was inspired to write the series after reading a historical account of the Napoleonic Wars and imagining how dragons would fit into the narrative.
- The series has been praised for its detailed portrayal of various cultures and societies, as Laurence and Temeraire travel around the world.
- Novik’s depiction of dragons is unique, giving them distinct personalities, cultures, and roles within the societies they inhabit.