The “Gentleman Bastard” series, penned by the talented Scott Lynch, is a gripping fantasy series that combines heist adventures with intricate con games, set in a richly detailed world reminiscent of Renaissance-era Venice. The narrative follows the life of Locke Lamora, a master thief and con artist, and his band of thieves as they navigate the treacherous waters of the criminal underworld.
Locke, along with his best friend Jean, orchestrates elaborate scams targeting the elite and corrupt nobility, all while evading the law and rival gangs. The series is renowned for its witty dialogue, intricate plots, and deep character development.
|Number of Books||3 (published, with more planned)|
|Publication Years||2006 – Present|
- Locke Lamora: The eponymous “Gentleman Bastard,” a brilliant con artist with a knack for getting into and out of trouble.
- Jean Tannen: Locke’s closest friend and confidant, known for his loyalty and combat prowess.
- Father Chains: The priest-thief who adopts and trains Locke and his friends in the arts of deception and thievery.
- The Gray King: A mysterious and dangerous figure who becomes one of Locke’s adversaries.
- Sabetha: A fellow thief and Locke’s love interest, whose history and relationship with him is complex and layered.
Themes and Motif
- Friendship and Loyalty: The bond between Locke and Jean, as well as the larger Gentleman Bastard group, underscores the series.
- Deception and Trust: The line between deceit and trust is often blurred as the characters navigate their cons and relationships.
- Revenge and Justice: Many plots revolve around revenge, both personal and on behalf of others.
- Society and Class: The disparity between the rich and the poor and the corruption of the elite are recurring themes.
Gentleman Bastard Series in Order
|S no.||Book’s Name||Year||Book’s Price|
|1||The Lies of Locke Lamora||2006||Check Price|
|2||Red Seas Under Red Skies||2007||Check Price|
|3||The Republic of Thieves||2013||Check Price|
|4||The Thorn of Emberlain||2024||TBD|
- Critical Reception: The “Gentleman Bastard” series has been praised for its unique blend of fantasy and crime, its memorable characters, and its intricate plotting.
- Reader Reception: The series has garnered a strong following, with readers eagerly awaiting subsequent installments.
Trivia and Fun Facts
- Scott Lynch has planned for the series to span seven books, though only three have been published as of the last update.
- The series is known for its dark humor and sharp wit, with Locke’s clever retorts being a highlight for many readers.
- Lynch has cited various influences for the series, including Alexandre Dumas and Fritz Leiber.