“The Liveship Traders” is a fantasy book series written by the acclaimed author Robin Hobb, known for her intricate and character-driven storytelling. This series is set in the same world as Hobb’s “Farseer Trilogy” and “Tawny Man Trilogy” and is part of a larger collection known as the “Realm of the Elderlings.”
|Number of Books||3|
|Publication Years||1998 – 2000|
“The Liveship Traders” series is renowned for its rich world-building, complex characters, and deep exploration of themes such as identity, family, and the impact of magic on individuals and societies. The central focus of the series is the concept of liveships—magical ships that are bonded with a living being’s consciousness and become sentient.
- Althea Vestrit: The main protagonist, Althea is determined to reclaim her family’s liveship, Vivacia, after it becomes the inheritance of her brother-in-law.
- Brashen Trell: A skilled sailor, Brashen becomes involved in Althea’s quest and plays a crucial role in the series.
- Wintrow Vestrit: Althea’s nephew, who becomes bound to the liveship Vivacia.
- Kennit: A charismatic pirate captain who seeks to become king of the pirate isles and plays a pivotal role in the series.
- Paragon: A legendary, damaged liveship with a dark history.
Themes and Motifs
- Identity: Characters grapple with questions of identity and self-discovery throughout the series, particularly in the context of their relationships with liveships.
- Family: The Vestrit family’s dynamics and struggles serve as a central theme, exploring the complexities of familial bonds.
- Magic and Sentience: The concept of liveships and their sentient nature is a central motif, exploring the ethical and emotional consequences of such magical bonds.
- Power and Ambition: Kennit’s ambition and quest for power are a recurring theme, reflecting the allure and dangers of ambition.
The Liveship Traders Series in Order
|S no.||Book’s Name||Year||Book’s Price|
|1||Ship of Magic||1998||Check Price|
|2||The Mad Ship||1999||Check Price|
|3||Ship of Destiny||2000||Check Price|
“The Liveship Traders” series has received critical acclaim for its intricate storytelling, well-developed characters, and thought-provoking themes. It has garnered a dedicated fanbase and is considered a significant contribution to the fantasy genre.
Trivia and Fun Facts
- Robin Hobb is a pseudonym for the author Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden, who also writes under the name Megan Lindholm.
- The “Realm of the Elderlings” series, to which “The Liveship Traders” belongs, includes several interconnected trilogies and stand-alone novels, creating a vast and immersive fictional world.