The “Broken Earth” trilogy, masterfully penned by N.K. Jemisin, is a groundbreaking science fiction series that spans three books, published between 2015 and 2017.
Set on a supercontinent called the Stillness, which frequently experiences catastrophic climate events known as “Fifth Seasons,” the narrative follows multiple characters, primarily Essun, as they navigate a world where orogeny – the ability to manipulate thermal and kinetic energy – is both a gift and a curse.
The series is lauded for its intricate world-building, complex characters, and its exploration of themes such as systemic oppression, environmental collapse, and the resilience of humanity.
|Number of Books||3|
|Publication Years||2015 – 2017|
- Essun: A skilled orogene who embarks on a quest to find her daughter after her son is killed and her community is destroyed.
- Nassun: Essun’s daughter, who grapples with her own orogenic abilities and the world’s prejudices.
- Alabaster: A powerful orogene who plays a pivotal role in revealing the truths of the Stillness.
- Syenite: A young orogene paired with Alabaster to produce a child with strong orogenic abilities.
Themes and Motif
- Oppression and Prejudice: The series delves deep into the systemic discrimination faced by orogenes and the ways in which societies justify and perpetuate such oppressions.
- Environmental Collapse: The recurring Fifth Seasons serve as a backdrop for exploring humanity’s relationship with the environment and the consequences of taking it for granted.
- Resilience and Survival: Characters constantly grapple with the challenges of surviving in a volatile world, both physically and emotionally.
The Broken Earth Trilogy in Order
|S No.||Book’s Name||Year of Publication||Book’s Price|
|1||The Fifth Season||2015||Check Price|
|2||The Obelisk Gate||2016||Check Price|
|3||The Stone Sky||2017||Check Price|
- Critical Reception: The “Broken Earth” trilogy has been widely acclaimed, with each book winning the Hugo Award for Best Novel in their respective years – a historic achievement.
- Reader Reception: Readers have praised the series for its innovative narrative structure, compelling characters, and its poignant exploration of societal issues.
Trivia and Fun Facts
- N.K. Jemisin is the first author to win the Hugo Award for Best Novel three years in a row, and she achieved this with the “Broken Earth” trilogy.
- The series is notable for its unique second-person narrative, which adds depth and intimacy to the storytelling.
- Jemisin has mentioned in interviews that the series, while set in a fantastical world, draws inspiration from real-world issues, particularly regarding climate change and systemic discrimination.