What’s your all-time favorite horror movie? I bet it is from Hollywood or some other country. That’s the case for many horror genres loving Indians.
But there are few exceptions to it. Over the decades we have seen some great Bollywood horror movies that have become cult classics for the Indian audiences.
So, I decided why not make a list of All-time Best Bollywood horror movies and help people like me find some great horror stories from India. These are the ‘Top 15 Horror Movies from Bollywood‘ that I liked the most.
1. Bhool Bhulaiyaa
- Logline: An NRI couple decide to stay in their ancestral home, despite the warnings about ghosts. Soon, some unexplainable events cause them to call a psychiatrist to help solve the mystery.
- Year: 2007
- Cast: Akshay Kumar, Vidya Balan, Rajpal Yadav, Paresh Rawal, Ameesha Patel
My most favorite movie on the list. It not only made me laugh like crazy but gave serious chills too. ‘Bhool Bhuliyaa’ is a classic example of how to make a perfect horror-comedy. Even after a decade of its release, Bhool Bhuliyaa is still class apart from the horror comedies made today.
The story revolves around an NRI couple Siddharth and Avni. Upon returning to India they insist on staying at the ancestral home, despite the family members’ objections. The mansion is considered to be haunted by ghosts and soon some unexplainable events make Siddharth call on his doctor friend to help solve the mystery.
It is highly unlikely that you haven’t seen this masterpiece. But in case you are slow, just drop everything and watch this epic Bollywood horror movie.
- Logline: A married couple, Swati and Vishal move to an apartment with a violent history. Soon after Swati starts to act strangely.
- Year: 2003
- Cast: Ajay Devgn, Urmila Matondkar, Nana Patekar
Bhoot definitely has to be one of the scariest Bollywood movies ever produced. One of the spine chilling performances from Urmila Matondkar, she literally scared the crap out of me.
The story starts with a couple moving into a high rise apartment left by a woman who killed her son and died after jumping off the balcony. Later Swati, the wife starts to acts all strangely. After looking at the condition of his wife Vishal decide to call in an exorcist. On the other hand, the reason for the death of the woman and her son creates other mysteries.
This movie will definitely give you sleepless nights. I highly recommend those who haven’t watched this superb movie to see it ASAP.
- Logline: A married couple amid tensions in their relationship plan a holiday in Ooty, but they don’t know what’s waiting for them.
- Year: 2002
- Cast: Dino Morea, Bipasha Basu, Malini Sharma
Anyone who is a Bollywood horror movies fan knows who Mahesh Bhatt is. If you don’t know him, he is a very famous director of horror movies and it was this movie (Raaz) that made him so popular.
The story revolves around Sanjana and Aditya, a married couple who plans a trip to Ooty to give a last chance to their crumbling marriage. But the trip takes a turn to the worst when Sanjana starts having otherworldly experiences. A spirit is haunting Sanjana, while Aditya is hiding a secret that could steer him from life to death.
4. 13B: Fear Has a New Address
- Logline: Life was good for Monahar until he shifted to his new apartment, 13B.
- Year: 2009
- Cast: Madhavan, Neetu Chandra, Poonam Dhillon
Directed by Vikram Kumar “13B” is a horror mystery revolving around Manohar, his family, his new apartment and his newly bought TV.
Yes, you heard that right, a TV. The women in the house get attached to a TV serial “Sab Khairiyat” in which the characters are similar to Manohar’s family, not just they are similar, Manohar soon realizes that incidents that happen in the serial are a reflection of what is happening to his family.
The continuous race between the incidents happening in the TV and Manohar rushing to solve its mystery sets an entertaining climax to watch.
5. Darna Mana Hai
- Logline: Group of friends starts telling each other horror stories to pass time after their car broke down in the middle of nowhere.
- Year: 2003
- Cast: Sameera Reddy, Antara Mali, Sohail Khan, Nana Patekar, Boman Irani
Ram Gopal Verma tried to bring a new concept to the Indian audience by bringing out six stories in one movie. Starring some big faces from the Bollywood the premise of this movie is more or less inspired by Campfire Tales.
Seven friends find shelter in an abandoned house in a forest after their car breaks down in the middle of the forest. To kill time they start telling each other horror and supernatural stories.
Though the title says that you are not allowed to get scared but several occurrences in the movie will test your resolve.
- Logline: Sharma family moves into a new apartment that had a really bad past.
- Year: 1992
- Cast: Revathy, Rohini Hattangadi, Om Puri
Raat is the movie that gave Ram Gopal Verma an image of a solid director because this movie was a brave attempt when it released. Plus before that Bollywood didn’t really had great horror movies under its belt. Despite its low budget, the cast of the movie is phenomenal and the story always keeps you connected.
Sharma family movies into a posh apartment in the city of Hyderabad. But soon after the daughter in the family starts to get nightmares and hallucinations where she is chased by some evil entity. Later they find that the apartment they shifted into has a really bad past and their lives are now under threat.
7. Vaastu Shastra
- Logline: A family moves in a mansion away from the city to find peace but what happens when the kid in the family becomes friends with the dead.
- Year: 2004
- Cast: Vicky Ahuja, J.D. Chakravarthi, Ahsaas Channa
Nothing gets more scray when a kid starts making imaginary friends and starts speaking with the dead. Vaastu Shastra has made good use of its talented cast to portray a story that will surely leave an impact on you.
The Roy family moves to a mansion away from Pune city to find a quiet and peaceful environment. Soon after Rohan who is the kid in the family starts talking to some imaginary kids. First, the family thinks that Rohan is just an imaginary child but later certain events lead to everyone believing that something is horribly wrong with the child.
- Logline: Six friends go on a secret mountain trek and end up in the most dangerous situation of their lives.
- Year: 2013
- Cast: Darshan Apoorva, Vijay Chendoor, Mruthyunjaya
Although this movie is not a Bollywood horror movie but made in Kannada, I had to put it in this list because of its phenomenal story. You can easily find its dub to watch
The film is a found footage from one of the six friend’s cameras that went for an expedition trek somewhere in the western ghats. They encounter bizarre incidents during their mountain trek. The story is presented as rescuers discovered video recording left behind by characters who have died or gone missing.
Don’t watch this movie if you are alone or proceed only if you are a pro horror fan because this one might get too creepy to the end.
9. Bees Saal Baad
- Logline: A story about a vengeful spirit of a girl who was raped by the wealthy Thakur has come back to seek revenge.
- Year: 1962
- Cast: Biswajit Chatterjee, Waheeda Rehman, Manmohan Krishna
Shot in classic b&w and released on new year eve of 1962 this film turned out to be the highest grosser of 1962. The song “Kahi Deep Jale” sung by Lata Mangeshkar was also one of the reasons this movie topped the box office chart.
A girl commits suicide after a village Thakur rapes her and her spirit is said to haunt the village singing ‘Kahin deep jale kahin dil’ at midnight seeking revenge.
‘Bees saal baad’ is good enough to give you chills ever after ‘pachhas saal baad‘ of its release. If you haven’t watched this one, don’t ignore it just because it’s an old movie.
- Logline: A newly married couple who have left their family and religion forsake of each other have to face the upshots of shifting to a haunted house in London.
- Year: 2008
- Cast: Rajneesh Duggal, Adah Sharma, Indraneil Sengupta, Anjori Alagh
Possibly one of the finest Horror movies ever made in Bollywood. Directed by Vikram Bhatt, 1920 lays a simple yet scary and engaging plot. Though the story is not one of its kind, the skillful actors and over the top direction don’t leave any chance to give you chilling moments throughout the movie.
Rajniesh Duggall and Adah Sharma play as a married couple who faces the consequences of living in a haunted house. The makers did create sequels but didn’t manage to get the same hits like this one.
If you and your mates are planning to get horrified tonight, turn off the lights and find yourself a seat somewhere in the middle and watch 1920.
11. Bhoot: Part One
- .Logline: A haunted ship mysteriously arrives on the beaches of Mumbai and one man is given the charge to solve the case.
- Year: 2020
- Cast: Vicky Kaushal, Bhumi Pednekar, Ashutosh Rana
One of the latest additions to Bollywood horror movies is Vicky Kaushal’s Bhoot. We all know that Vicky is a talented actor and in this movie too he had done exemplary acting in portraying a character who is experience supernatural on the haunted ship.
The story starts when an abandoned and run-down ship called Sea Bird mysteriously appears on the shores of Mumbai. Vicky’s character is a govt. officer tasked with the job to find out the cause of this occurrence and also to do a detailed search of the ship. But a sinister being is lurking in the darkness of the broken ship and is ready to create mayhem.
- Logline: Arnab found a girl chained in her home and brings her with him but he doesn’t know she truly is.
- Year: 2018
- Cast: Anushka Sharma, Parambrata Chattopadhyay, Rajat Kapoor
‘Pari’ is the kind of horror movie which either you’ll hate or you’ll love. The story is fresh, at least when compared to other Bollywood horror movies. The movie doesn’t give you jump scares but you’ll always be on your toes watching this one.
The story revolves around Arnab and Ruksahana. Arnab met her chained in her home, totally cut off the outside world. He then keeps her with him and teaches her how to live with humans. But what Arnab doesn’t know is Ruksahana’s true identity and what will happen to him if they stay together.
13. Ragini MMS 2
- Logline: A director attempts to shoot an erotic horror movie in a haunted house but their main actress gets possessed by the spirit.
- Year: 2014
- Cast: Sunny Leone, Saahil Prem, Parvin Dabas
If you have no clue what this is all about I insist you watch the first part but since this list is about the scariest Bollywood horror movies only I considered adding the second part to the list.
Starring the beautiful Sunny Leone, Ragini MMS 2 is a one step ahead approach where the directors have planned to give a different twist to original part one.
A film director’s decision to shoot his latest erotic horror movie in an infamous haunted house angers the vengeful spirit living there. Their main actress gets possessed by the spirit and starts killing the crew.
- Logline: Story of an atheist who struggles to find a cure for his daughter possessed by a demon.
- Year: 2008
- Cast: Sudeep, Amruta Khanvilkar, Ahsaas Channa
The Director Ram Gopal Verma had promised a reward of 5 lacs to anyone who sees the movie alone in the theatre which turned out to be a great marketing strategy for the movie. What sets this movie aside from other horror movies is that it address the less talked subject of black magic.
The story sets in plot an atheist father who is forced to consult an exorcist after his daughter shows the signs of being possessed and the later story goes on solving the mystery.
You wouldn’t be rewarded five lakhs for watching this movie alone but you’ll no more feel alone after watching this Bollywood horror movie.
- Logline: The people of Chanderi are haunted by Stree, the spirit of a woman, who abducts men at night. Vicky, along with his friends, decides to solve the mystery.
- Year: 2018
- Cast: Rajkummar Rao, Shraddha Kapoor, Pankaj Tripathi
Another horror comedy that makes it into the list is Stree. Although the movie gives you chills on a few occasions and is mostly funny. The ghost in the movie is really scary looking which is rare in Bollywood horror movies.
The story happens in Chanderi village which is haunted for years by a witch called Stree. At every annual festival, she abducts men in dark leaving no trace but their clothes. Vicky is a young village tailor who meets an unknown woman and starts getting close to her. But his friends get suspicious as no one has seen her except Vicky and they believe that she could be Stree.